RE: When to shift?

To: <cvaught@hawaii.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: When to shift?
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:46:02 -0800
Chris,

I think your approach is Zen-like in the sense that you eschew the rules and
are striving for a direct and personal connection with your car. Nothing
wrong with that - at least as far as being a driver. Now building the car
requires more adherence to engineering/physics. I notice you aren't arguing
that 3.54 gears are better than 4.56, or that a wide ratio is better than a
close ratio, etc. Zen should start where good engineering leaves off. The
link you posted looks pretty good. It certainly supports my general theme
about shift point versus engine performance. Just running the default data
points, with maximum torque at 3,900 rpm and maximum horsepower at 6,000 rpm
gives shift points at 6,600 rpm. I might quibble with some details of their
algorithm, but the general implications are clear, both in terms of how to
build your engine and how to use it.

Hope you have a fun day,

Bob