Leg Room

To: "The List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leg Room
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:23:13 -0800
Larry wrote:

"I am 6', with a 30" inseam, and my legs are really too long to be
comfortable in the car.  When I sit, I have to splay my legs out,
instead of a normal straight forward position of the legs.

I am looking for suggestions to gain leg room, from those who had
already done something, like different seats,  or whatever.

I appreciate your thoughts, as I know that there are others Tiger
owners, with the same problem.  Don't be shy, with your suggestions.  We
all may benefit."

Larry,

I'm 6' 4" and I dont fit in anything.

I resorted to installing a smaller diameter steering wheel, cutting the
driver's seat foam down by about half, running the seat as far back as it
will go, and reclining it until it rests on a bracket I welded in between
the diagonal brace and the main hoop of the roll bar. And I still dont have
any room. I still run a long shifter and have trouble getting into first
gear without forcing my right knee into the steering wheel. These cars are
simply too small for us taller Yanks.

I found that any aftermarket seat is probably going to have a thicker back
support than the flimsy stock unit, so a newer type of seat might make
things worse.

I have not just spent a lot of time and money restoring my interior so I'm
perfectly content with letting the seat back rest up against the roll bar
bracket. However, if I had just installed a ProPrep interior I would be
concerned about supporting the seat back by leaning it on a bracket such as
mine. You could always have about 4 inches whacked out of your femurs, this
would be much less painful than notching the luggage shelf in your brand
new restoration.

A 6' 11" tall friend of mine (former NBA player) has a Cobra replica that
he modified to allow additional room for his long legs. He fabricated a
brand new foot box and pushed the pedals as far forward as he could get
them. He then notched the dash on either side of the steering column to
clear his knees. Pretty extreme modifications, but definatly not
recommended in a Tiger.

Good Luck

Mike Sutter