RE: Lexan

To: <Carmods@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>, <owner-tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lexan
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:02:19 -0800
Listers,

Lexan is to polycarbonate as Plexiglas is to acrylic. Polycarbonate is used
for many applications that include extensive sun exposure. They include
eyeglass (spectacle) lenses, airplane windows, bullet proof windows, etc.,
etc. It was first developed as the plastic for astronauts' helmet visors. It
is very tough, but rather soft. Polycarbonate eyeglass lenses are almost
always coated with a few microns of an evaporated silica/carbon polysiloxane
coating to make them almost as scratch resistant as glass. I would think it
would be prohibitively expensive to coat large areas, but perhaps airplane
windows and canopies are coated.

Here are some links to more info.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/parents/polycarb.htm

http://www.cerac.com/pubs/cmn/cmn8_4ex.htm

http://www.chinfoh.com.my/03products/polycarbonate/

http://www.nacecorrosionnetwork.com/archive/9807/0384.html

http://www.sola.com/professional/corner/look_at_lenses.pdf

It doesn't look to me like the problems James had with his Lexan window are
typical of this material.

Bob