Brake Master Cylinder Set Ups

To: "The List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Set Ups
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:03:23 -0800
Listers,

Due to a torque converter failure in the wifes Exploder, I had to press the
Tiger into daily service this past week. The result was a brake master
cylinder failure. I have ordered a rebuild kit and a couple of cans of
brake fluid to get the car back on the road. Meanwhile as I was removing
the master tonight I started thinking about brake pedal travel. My MC
system has a 5/8" thick spacer that resides between the firewall and the
mounting surface on the MC. I also have two holes available in the brake
pedal to facilitate the mounting of the clevis on the end of the actuator
rod. When I pulled the MC out I noticed that with the spacer in place and
the clevis pin in the hole closest to the driver it seems that I was using
the worst possible combination. Does it make sense that if I removed the
spacer and drove the actuator rod from the forward hole I would eliminate a
lot of free pedal movement? Or would this shortening of the stroke reduce
the swept volume of the cylinder and have an adverse affect on the way the
brakes work? I have always felt the brake pedal had a little too much free
travel before braking occurs. Is everyone using the spacer? And what hole
do recommend, in the brake pedal of course?! What are your thoughts?

Mike Sutter
'66 Tiger
Ramona CA