All Greased Up

Subject: All Greased Up
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:48:51 -0700
Hello Sunbeamers:
The steering in my Tiger has gotten progressively "stiffer". In a way
it's interesting in that it's almost like I have a quicker ration
steerion rack. I know better, though, as things seem to be progressing
to tighter (requiring more turning effort) steering. As was suggested
yesterday, I greased the lower ball joints. I haven't driven the car yet
to see if it's better (won't until tommorow night) as I'm also doing
some other cooling system work tonight. My question is, is there
supposed to be a grease fitting for the upper ball joints too? I
could'nd find one.

Also, is there a way to check the steering rack oil level with the rack
attached to the car? I have the radiator "header...overflow" tank
removed and I have clear access to a few nots and bolts on the top of
the rack. There's an approx. 1" x 2" cover, slanted forward, with a
couple of bolts, that I believe are accessable and I wonder if this
could be where cou can check and fill whatever is in there. Which brings
me to another question, if it is accessable...what do you fill it with
and how full?  I'm suspicious some action may be needed here since, when
my new engine went in a few months back new steering rack boots were
installed (the old ones were cracked) and I wonder if the fluid had
leaked out.

Thanks.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A