Re: going nuts trying to find the nut

To: "Rose, Mark G" <mrose@ou.edu>
Subject: Re: going nuts trying to find the nut
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:04:10 -0700
At 01:18 PM 4/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Folks-
>
>What started out as a stripped lugnut stud turned into an all-weekend
>overhaul of my rear axle on the Tiger. We pulled, tugged and pressed
>everything out and then put all new stuff back in - bearings, carriers,
>seals, studs(brakes already overhauled).
>
>I'm down to the actual last physical nut possible and need help. The nut
>that screws on to the axle to keep everything on that the cotter pin(spelled
>right?) goes through stripped beyond repair. I went to the usually very
>competent fastener store this morning and tried to get a new one. They
>measured and gave me 7/8 - 14 nut. I went home happy thinking I was getting
>to drive the Tiger to work but was quickly disappointed.
>
>Long and short of it - what size threads do I need for that nut?
>Thanks-
>Mark

The 7/8-14 is the correct size for this nut.  Since you have "pulled" the
hubs from the axle, it is likely that you now have a variable thread pitch
in the area of the cotter pin hole.  This localized collapse is a common
result of pulling the hub and the best way to avoid it is to pull the hub
with the nut still in place, in a loose condition.  At this point you will
require a chaser die to re-cut the threads to allow the nut to run all the
way to the hub.  You may also need to re-drill the cotter pin hole to fit
the proper pin size.

Tom Hall