Carb rebuild questions

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb rebuild questions
From: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:19:53 -0400
I'm finally getting around to rebuilding that drippy original Ford two
barrel carb I mentioned a while back. I've never touched it since 1977,
but I don't know what the previous owners may have done. I got the
rebuild kit, and have all the new bits installed.  The drip, by the way
appears to have originated in the accelerator pump, as it's diaphragm
was noticeably deteriorated.  I have however encountered a couple
mysteries.  Never having done a carb before, these may be dumb
questions, but at least they'll be amusing to some.

First, the idle adjustment screws were frozen, but a little penetrating
oil and careful working them back and forth seems to have freed them up.
I wanted to turn them in and record their positions before removing them
for cleaning, but despite being free, they will not turn in any
further.  I don't want to turn them too hard.  Is it possible the car
would run with the screws turned all the way in?

The second question concerns that large vent hole in the cover over the
float bowl.  Is that supposed to be open like that?  A ladybug could
walk right in and jump up and down on the float....  Because of the top
gasket differences.  The original gasket had a hole in the gasket way
over by the corner of the float bowl.  At least the ladybug could not
get directly into the bowl.  But the new gasket has one of it's vent
holes directly under the hole in the cover so that the ladybug, dirt,
water or whatever could slide directly in and bounce off the float.  Is
this correct, or am I missing something?

Stu Brennan