Re: Block i.d. more questions

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@home.com>
Subject: Re: Block i.d. more questions
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:47:45 -0700
Allen,
 Yes, I believe it was you that asked about the Paul McConnell car (black it
was, with the vinyl dash) no offence taken in you asking again. B9470101
(the McConnell car store at Smitty's 1998-2000) is the one I bought. I
purchased it on 1-21-2000 for a number of reasons.
 First being that I didn't/don't have a lot of money to spend.
  Second it seemed one had to spend in the $10,000-$12,000 range to move up
to the next level of Tiger. From what I percieved many of those cars were
only in "fair" condition and I likely would have replaced a number of the
parts I'm replacing now.
  Third I don't know how many people knew that it came with a replacement
front clip, about $800 worth of goodies (new) from Sunbeam Specialties,
Cosmic wheels (ala Harrington Tiger), Soft top frame, Hard top with new rear
window, chrome trim and both glass and plastic side windows. Other points
were the stock air cleaner, fan shroud, radiator tank, the fact that it was
on Calif. non-operation status and that the seller agreed to list the front
clip, hard top and $800 of parts seperately saving me some money at the DMV.
Also I know that it is only my opinion, but the rust could have been far
worst than it really is and with some effort is repairable.  It may have
been a neglected car, but it was mostly unmolested (granted the "Elvis slept
here" red velour interior and dead rat in the trunk were hard to
overlooked).
 To me these were all things I saw as worthy of purchasing the car for. It
was a sad puppy that wagged it tail when I saw it. Also at that time my wife
was saying "yes" and it was an opportunity I didn't want to see pass by.
  I know it is a project and at times I hate it, but I also know I am doing
something most others would have passed on and there is a measure of
contentment in "taking the road less traveled." In the end I know it will
never be an exceptional car, but given maximum effort and minimal cost I do
hope it to be an acceptable car (someday).
 Thus far I have completed scraping to bare metal the rear underside, trunk
and rear interior (and might I add while on jackstands and the gravitational
pull of debris there of) . I have POR-15ed those areas, but retrospectively
do not recommend the product. I have rebuilt the rearend constructing my own
hub/axle pullers, case spreaders and pinion gage. I have also rebuilt rear
brake system. Currently I am prepping the front interior and underside for
the reluctant application of POR-15 that I now have $tockpiled and will then
proceed to rebuilding the front end and brakes. I have begun the conversion
to the Datsun 3/4"dual master cylinder (less booster). And am giving serious
consideration to the Midget steering rack-MGB steering arm conversion (given
that I have ready access to thes items at Pick-A-Part).
There is also a piece on this car at the Tigers United site
http://www.tigersunited.com/gallery/TomWitt.asp  if this hasn't put you to
sleep already.
And that is kind-a sort-a the story of what happened to "That Car". Tom Witt
B9470101