Re: Droning Mufflers- Short Street History

To: E2CFlyr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Droning Mufflers- Short Street History
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:45:06 -0700
E2CFlyr@aol.com wrote:

> Hey Listers:
> What about glass packs?  I have some experience with them and have not
>noticed any sort of "din" at any specific rpm's.  Any other thoughts?
> Ethan

Sure. A little history, a modest proposal.

When we first started "hopping-up" our street cars, straight through
mufflers were the ONLY choice, other than stock. They were made in two
varieties, steel shaving packed cylinders with holes in the center
"straight through" tube, and "glass-paks", with fiberglass fibers/wool
replacing the steel.

The steel versions would smoke for many miles until the machine oil from
the scrap shavings used, was burned off. Then, of course, they would
start to rust. They got louder and louder until all that fine steel
wool, or scrap cuttings was oxidized away from the exhaust acid, flow
erosion and heat.

Now the glass paks, mostly made by Huth, sounded much smoother, and had
no oil burn-off. Unfortunately, the same turbulent (non-scientific
usage) flow finally blew the fine glass fibers out the exhaust too. But,
what the heck, louder was better anyway.

We also had Pep Boys "cut-outs" that could allow diversion of the
exhaust gas to a straight pipe, but leaked like mad, and had to really
be welded on, not bolted as supplied. Choke cable operated. Look out for cops.

Now, these were the days when only the exhaust noise was from old cars
with broken mufflers, and trucks. The local cops hated "furrin' cars"
and would write them up on any excuse. These really sounded a wake up
call, above the background.

The saving grace was the stock, legal '54 XK-120M, with straight through
dual exhausts, with a single outer shell over both perforated tubes. Jag
put both pipes in a parallel run all the way to the back. Wasn't
extremely loud, but the mufflers were right under the driver's seat, and
when you hit resonance in a broad range around 3,000 rpm you really knew
why you bought that car. Sounded good outside too. {9->

IMHO, no smoother sound has existed before or since they split them
apart in the XK-140. A Ferrari would rip your heart out. with it's 120
db "ripping cloth" sound, and the Testa Rosa 4 cylinder version was so
loud it would disintegrate your body if you were standing near during a
throttle rap. The V-8s all "burbled", then. Fast, but didn't sound elegant.

Just heard a new Mustang HO go by, probably an after market, or Factory
Rod conversion, but it sure sounded good. Not load, but low and
resonant. Wonder what he was running?

Final observation. With today's traffic congestion, speed limits, slow
freeways, most cars will keep up with each other, regardless of
horsepower/weight. Your only choices are: 1) Keep stock and plug along.
2) Get the 400 Watt Boom Box sub woofers and make everybody else mad. 3)
Get a nice sounding exhaust, and enjoy the resonance, 4) Get the "Beach
Boy's" album and the exhaust. You won't even have to leave your
driveway! {9->

Last, buy a set of our "rocket exhaust" ear plugs for the lovely one, so
maybe she'll ride with you.

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/