RE: Introduction, new to list

To: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Introduction, new to list
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:50:18 -0700
Erich,

Welcome to the List Eric and good luck finding just the Tiger you're looking
for. Too bad the one you mentioned has a C-4 automatic. I know it's
sacrilege to put an automatic in a sports car, especially a macho car like a
Tiger, but it is a pretty sweet combo if you bring yourself to give it a
try. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind; just leaving the door
open for those who have or want to try going this rout. However, there is
really very little beyond the obvious to concern yourself regarding this
conversion. It does not require enlarging the drive tunnel and very little,
if any mods to the shifter opening. There is about a 2" length difference,
so the drive shaft has been (I think) lengthened by 2". When you put the
four speed, or better yet, five speed manual transmission in, you will have
to change the length again. No big deal though. If the PO doesn't have all
the parts you need like the hydraulic clutch slave bracket, etc., they are
not hard to locate. The more serious considerations are: a) Is it a real
Tiger (Get the VIN #, JAL, and differential tag # and check it against Norm
Miller's Tiger Registry): b) Is the body sound, no serious rust, etc., no
serious accidents that bent the chassis, not a lot of Bondo, etc. -  the
usual considerations in buying any used car.

Good luck,

Bob