Leak Emergency !!!???

Subject: Leak Emergency !!!???
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 22:31:02 -0700
Hello Gang:
It's 10:19 PM on the West Coast (USA) and any help will be appreciated.
I just got finished installing my new Pertronics Ignitor II ignition and
it seems to work great.

However, on another front,  I'd bought a new SU fuel pump for my Tiger
from Rick before United as my old one was leaking out of the end cover
(where the single nut holds on the round, conical shaped end cover on
the pump). I started smelling raw fuel a bit on the way back from United
but couldn't see anything. Now I know where it's coming from, on the new
fuel pump, from exactly the same end cover. Now, the big problem as no
matter what I do with that end cover (tighten it .....slows the leak a
bit, but still leaks, loosen it, increases the leak) it's drip, drip,
dripping fuel from that cover. When I turn on the ignition, I get a
brief spurt of additional fuel right from that nut that "tightens" down
that stupid cover.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop that leak temporarily on an
emergency basis, (my tanks are almost full, unfortunately) and has
anyone else had the same problem. This is now the third time I've gone
through this with an SU pump. I'm going to get an aftermarket fuel pump
next, as that's what I had to do with my previous Tiger on the road, and
I used that $25 Pep Boys pump for years after with no problem (and no
leaks).

My immediate additional problem is that, if I can find a parts store
open tonight with a universal pump, I'm not going to be able to get the
fittings to plumb it into the metal lines that screw into the SU pump, I
don't think.

Anyway, any fast advice will be greatly appreciated!

Steve Sage
smelly, leaky 1967 MK1A