Timing Adjustments.

To: "'ssage@socal.rr.com'" <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Timing Adjustments.
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:32:54 -0500
Steve,
The timing is something that can impact performance dramatically and playing
with spring will only affect the "rate" that the timing comes in. If it was
pinging a little under quick acceleration it may be that they were too weak
and you need "slightly stiffer" springs. Ensure that you check your "Total"
Timing. It should not be over 36-38 degrees for maximum power without and
spark induced pre-detonation (pinging) as not all pinging can be heard and
if it is loud enough to hear it is definitely excessive. Another thing that
can help to vary the advance is the size and shape of the weights. You may
be able to buy an advance "kit" for your application that will help to tune
the timing.
I obtained best results out of my 260 with 12 degrees advance (no vacuum
connected) with 38 degrees total timing found by watching the timing mark
with an adjustable timing light with no vacuum and reading timing at 500 RPM
increments. You will need a helper and a digital Tach. You really need all
of the timing "in" by 3000 RPM as the benefits are minor and in fact for
high RPM you may want retard slightly to only have 36 degrees over 7500 RPM
depending on fuel. (Not that my engine ever revved that high) a nice linear
curve would look like this:
650 RPM 12 Degrees
1000 RPM 18 Degrees
1500 RPM 24 Degrees