Re: More Jacking Stuff

To: Shaun Laughy <shaunl@home.com>, "Den, Tiger's"
Subject: Re: More Jacking Stuff
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:28:35 -0700
Shaun Laughy wrote:

> What are the preferred jacking points on
> the Tiger when using a floor jack?  Jackstand placements?  I've seen many
> people jack up the rear of various cars using a floor jack directly on the
> pumpkin.  Is this safe on the Tiger or might it damage something?  Just
> wondering...
>
> Thanks,
> Shaun

Shaun,

Well, I can certainly tell you where they are NOT.

1) The oil pan.
2) The greasy front cross member
3) Any part of the flat floor pan

I always use a piece of deformable wood between the jack pad and the
chassis, to spread the load, and choose a well boxed in chassis member
to raise the car.

I have a Polyurethane expensive jack pad to prevent scarring, but it is
so slick that the flat jack pad level, and the angling chassis during
raising, allow the floor jack to move on it's wheels, as it is supposed
to. But if the wheel-floor friction is greater than the pad friction, it
slides off the pad!!!!
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/