Exchange Made

Subject: Exchange Made
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:15:01 -0700
I decided to take my blown Ignitor II ignition to Pertronix myself today
after talking to them and their saying an exchange would be no problem.
They tested the module on the spot and, sure enough, a solder point had
failed inside the unit. A new replacement kit was given to me right
there. The Pertronix guy said if they're bad, which is rare, it's
usually right out of the box, not a week or two later. His guess was
that the solder wasn't perfect to start with, and the vibration of the
car, and the starting and stopping (and heating and cooling) finally
caused the weak solder to fail after the module cooled down at the car
show in Ventura. He did say he doubted it was because Jane, Carrie and I
had been discussing how great the Tiger was running with the Pertronix
on the way up to Ventura.  I had said that, even though Pertronix is
American and generally reliable, being installed in a British car could
make it vulnerable to one of the biggest causes of component failures in
our cars, talking good about them while the car is within earshot.

I must say that Pertronix has been great with tech support and the
exchange and I'm installing the replacement unit in the car tonight and
will post how it goes.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A