Re: Red Dash Warning Light

To: "Shaun Laughy" <shaunl@home.com>
Subject: Re: Red Dash Warning Light
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:49:45 -0700
At 06:03 PM 7/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks to everyone for the suggestion to turn the red plastic lense around.
>That sounds like it will work just fine 00 at least for the next 35 years!
>Now for the stupid question:  How do these things come out/apart so I can do
>this?
>
>Thanks,
>SL

         The chrome surround has the top and bottom folded over the edge of
the plastic shell flange.  The shell has a flat flange at the outer edge
that is double D shaped, the same as the chrome surround.  The trick is to
pry open these metal folds as little as possible but enough to get the
chrome to pop off.  A very small chisel or similar device will give you the
required leverage.  After rotating the lens, you carefully refold the
metal.  Making an epoxy mold (two part putty works well for this) of the
front face will give you something to press against for this refold
operation.  You can use Saran Wrap or similar material to make the mold
release and create this shape.

         If your lens has already been turned, you can also machine one
from red acrylic rod, but that's another story.

Tom