I'm Still Fuming

Subject: I'm Still Fuming
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:49:39 -0700
I get raw fuel smells in the passenger compartment after going around
several corners. The smell comes almost immediately, with no delay, upon
cornering. I've replaced the crossover hose, the four balance hoses
behind the bumper, and the fuel filler hose. Finally, I made up a gasket
to seal the fuel filler cap to the body when you close it (it had been
sloshing fuel out when full, down the side of the car. That solved that
problem). Today I'm going to pull out the crossover hose again to make
sure it didn't catch on something when I installed it a couple of months
ago and crack again. Where else could that smell be coming from? My only
remaining idea is that the fuel system is getting over pressurized and
forcing fumes out some weak link in the system. It seems there is what
looks like a vent hole at the center of the fuel "cap" but I cant figure
out how to test if this is blocked or not. The smell in the trunk, by
the way, isn't that strong raw fuel smell but what I'd describe as years
of exhaust seeping in there. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, here in southern California, all the gas brands have lowered
their premium octane rating to 91. That's going in the wrong direction.
What's going on there????

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A (Smelly and needing more octane)