Tick, Tick, Tick, ....Boom???

Subject: Tick, Tick, Tick, ....Boom???
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:11:05 -0700
I noticed the Tiger seemed to be running a bit warmer than usual
yesterday (over 100 degrees out and running the A/C , but that shouldn't
affect a Tiger, should it?). I took out my Gano radiator filter this
morning and, sure enough, it was fairly well plugged up with
junk...........lots of little black bits plus just a few pieces of blue
silicone seal, I guess from when the water pump was installed. I cleaned
it thoroughly and re-installed, and, at idle anyway, it now runs a few
degrees cooler. I'll drive around in the heat today to see if my theory
was correct.

Which brings me to my water pump. Should it be pretty much silent with
the engine running?

Listening around the engine compartment after I poured the coolant back
in, and then listening through a hose to pinpoint the noise, I hear a
"tick, tick, tick" noise from the water pump. It's not especially a loud
noise, and is a steady ticking, or light metallic "tapping", seeming to
relate to engine RPM. You could almost mistake it for "normal" valve
train noise if you didn't know where it was coming from. This is in
addition to the normal "whirring" noise I've always been familiar with
when listening to a water pump (listening to it through a hose). I think
I've had this same noise for quite a while, or maybe always, with no
change in volume, but never bothered to pin down where it came from. So,
is the water pump heading for the scrap heap in the sky, or should I not
worry about getting ticked off?

Thanks.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A 289