Re: Power to weight ratio (non tiger)

To: "G Shaw" <emmakita@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Power to weight ratio (non tiger)
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:19:09 -0700
Well, I don't know the context of the original statement. But there are two
simple things to consider. One is that the car can be quick, the other fast.
Quick has to do with the old F=m*a equation we all grew up with. As you can
see, mass or weight divided by gravity is included. The force is the
tractive force at the the rubber/road interface and can be figured from
torque at that point. I don't think there is any quadrupling there. As to
fast, two main effects, one is rolling resistance which does indeed include
weight but is not really a factor until some pretty high speeds are reached
(like 300 mph...). The other factor is aero drag, which has no weight in it
at all, But horsepower does go up as the cube of velocity (ft per second).
So I am not really sure wat he was talking about...

mayf