Re: Dyno??

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dyno??
From: geewhiz <geewhiz@inreach.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:23:04 -0700
The problem with the total timing method and letting the initial fall where it
may, is that low rpm driveability and throttle response can be poor if your
distributor is putting in 30 degrees all by itself.  If you set the thing to 37
total, then your initial will be 7, which may not be what your engine likes.  My
390 likes about 12-15 initial, and when the distributor puts in 30 above that,
it pings like nobody's business.

I'm not really sure how a Windsor would react, but the guy with the original
question  said his car ran better with more initial, but pinged too much.  This
is an indication that the distributor is putting in too much, and he can benefit
from limiting the amount of mechanical advance, then bumping up his initial
lead.

Gerard

--
Change your own oil?  Want to save money and help
the Earth?  You need BOB!  http://www.BOB2000.com

Fast Fords, ATV's, & A Moving Tribute to My Late Father
Personal Homepage: http://www.bob2000.com/4277.htm

I delete old emails.  Be sure to quote our previous correspondence!