RE:shooting yourself in the foot (puller response)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:shooting yourself in the foot (puller response)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:35:40 -0700
A number of people responded to this post that seemed to branch off to
"Replies - to - Replies." Some replying pressed the issue that "there is a
hub puller to pull the hub available (paraphrased).'"
  I'm not sure whether those replies were intended for Chris Hill or myself
(Tom Witt - a responder to Chris). Neither am I fully aware of circumstance
by which Chris had his problems. However, for the record, in my case the
issue for me was that I needed to get my axles out as the rearend was in
very bad shape. During that process I constructed my own puller and chose to
remove the whole unit as an unattached hub is of no advantage in removing an
axle. I must say that I am of the belief that NO hub puller of the variety
similar to the one shown in the Tiger manual would have removed that axle.
  It took the leverage of a long handle, maximum swing, 10 pound sledge
hammer stiking the plate I arranged on my puller (a force I feel went far
beyond that generated by the standard sliding weight). Added in were liberal
applications of penetrating oil and heat to these 20 or so full force
strikes before the axle (really the bearing) yielded. Additionally, it took
even greater effort to eventually remove the hub from the axle to R&R the
bearing and seal. The consideration of later reinstalling the assembly in
the rearend and using the mentioned puller (even if it was capable) to pull
the hub could allow someone to change the seal, but would have still left
the old bearing and axle back in the car. Therefore, it necessitated I
remove the hub with the axle out of the rearend - using the method I replied
to Chris.
  Though I envy anyone who has pulled a hub (or axle) with the mentioned
puller I believe, as I have experienced,  the puller itself was not at issue
in my case. Rather it was the difficulty of parts forced together over a
long time and under a variety of conditions and my finding a method that
(beyond that recommended in the Tiger Manual) would actually work.
Regardless, I have reinstalled my bearing and hub with anti-sieze and am in
the prosess of constructing an improved puller (very similar to the one in
the Tiger Manual) in the hope that should I ever need to pull the axle/hub
again (but, Oh - I hope not!) it will actually come out as others have
described.
  Why both my axle and hub were so difficult to remove I don't really know
(they were not rusted). But I do feel that for the sake of others having
difficulty the other side of this issue should be told. Chris may be having
an experience similar to mine and at least POSSIBLY the puller would not be
an issue. Regards, Tom Witt B9470101