RE: Strange tire problem

To: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Subject: RE: Strange tire problem
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:07:48 -0700
Stu,

On reflection, I think you are right. The story, one of many told to me
while I was at Firestone, was in this case about an undercure defect in a
Goodyear tire. (They say your memory is the second thing to go.) Of course,
Firestone is more infamous for their first radials, which had a notorious
tread separation problem.

I found the following from SpeedVision about the Goodyear settlement with
Donohue's widow.

"Over the years, legal precedent has tended to side with the concept of the
"waiver," i.e. the written admission by the signer (i.e. race driver) that
he or she is engaged in a hazardous enterprise and thereby releases the
track owners, promoters and other outside parties from liability in the
event of an accident. However, in several cases it has been
argued that while the individual race driver may have agreed to the release,
he or she cannot speak for other members of the family who might be
adversely affected by the crash. This was the case in the litigation brought
by the wife of superstar Mark Donohue following his death at the Austrian
Grand Prix in 1975. That case, settled out of court for what is believed to
be millions, named Goodyear, car owner Roger Penske, Bell Helmets, Simpson
Safety Equipment and others as being responsible for the practice crash and
subsequent head injuries that caused his death.
Clearly, there was a body of legal opinion that the wife of the late, great
driver had suffered losses that transcended any waivers her late husband
might have signed."

The Website where I got this is at:

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/automotive/02inews/001121a.html

Thanks for helping me get this straight.