Fuel sender and guage

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel sender and guage
From: laceyf@crosslink.net
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:18:41 -0400
Troop, please help.
     My fuel gauge reads 4-5 gallons with a full tank of gas. I thought it was
the gauge so I purchased a new (NOS) one. That didn't help, it also read 4-5
galloons when full and down to 2 gallons with 4 gallons +/-.  So I pulled the
gas tank with the sending unit. I thought that the sending unit maybe stuck or
hitting the side of the tank.  I checked it on an Ohm meter. Checks out like
it is supposed to in the listing of the web sites. How could we live without
all that data to refer too?  Anyway back to the problem, I hooked it up to the
wires with a sure ground, outside the tank. The gauge never went over 4-5
gallons. Ouch!! Is it possible that the sending unit that is working
correctly, (as metered) and the wires/connecting to the front of the car are
bad? Is the gauge 2 posts crossed, I thought it didn't matter? Which is the
route for the wire up to the front of the car, to the little resister box,
which I've replaced? One more bit of info which maybe helpful. My Tiger M1A
doesn't get puking, and the temp. gauge usually don't get over 170 deg temp.
even in a parade, hot summer parades with stop and go.  Could both be reading
below accurate? Or just one, the fuel. I can live with the temp. as long as it
don't puke, but the fuel gauge needs to be fixed. I plan on going to Luray in
Va. in 2 weeks and I don't wish to take a travel can of gas. Ha! Ha!
Thanks for any and all help in advance.        Mark F