Re: Tranny/Driveshaft Help Needed

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny/Driveshaft Help Needed
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:32:55 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 1:56 PM

> Terry,
>  I don't really have an answer for you other than there is probably a
reason
> that Rootes used the T-10 on the first 50 or so Tigers and then went with
> the Toploader. The T-10 might have even been Kludged together knowing that
> the Toploader was going to replace it. It would be interesting to know
> exactly why they went to the Toplader over the initial T-10.
> There could be a seal on the output shaft. Have you ever looked into yoke
> see it there is a seal, or at least where one was? Still, with the splines
> both the yoke and shaft would have to have an area large enough to cover
the
> driveshaft movement that was flat on one and grooved on the other to
accept
> a seal and provide a surface for it to slid on. Initially I thought gasket
> sealer, but the splines and the necessary movement would rule that out.
> Hopefully there are others who can help. The Registry shows 8 other cars
> that should have (or have had) the same configuration. All the best to
your
> struggle. Tom Witt B9470101

Every transmission yoke I have ever seen, (T-10 and Toploader alike) always
had a closed bottom at the u joint end.  It sounds like your driveshaft is
too long for your application.
I just went down to the shop and looked at a Toploader trans. (RUG AE2 from
a 69 Mustang w/ 428 ).  The output shaft sticks out beyond the end of the
trans by 7/8 of an inch.  I don't think it is possible for the yoke to be
shoved into the trans far enough for the splines to stick out the end of the
yoke.  Something is fishy in your setup.

Erich