Re: Unocal '393 Patent

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Unocal '393 Patent
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 07:35:56 -0700
Bob:
The way I read the story, the unocal process was cost-effective, and
they had enough patents "surrounding" their process that any other way
was not cost effective.  I guess nobody wanted to pay unocal anything,
so they preferred to lower the octane rating.
At the same time, CEC (california energy commission) did a study to see
if manufacturers would be interested in lowering their premium octane
rating by one point (the story got a bit murky here as to WHY CEC wanted
to do this in the first place).  Of course the manufacturers (also faced
with paying royalties to uoncal for their process) said "yes".

All older cars without sophisticated engine management (computer)
systems are at risk with this (Alpines have a 9.5:1 c.r. and most of the
people I know that have Alpines are running premium) lowering of octane
ratings--hmmm, since us old car owners are a vocal bunch that object
loudly to removing smog exemptions that allow our older cars to avoid
smog requirements that are increasingly difficult for us to meet: could
this be a sneaky way of getting the older cars off the road?  Just keep
lowering the octane rating.  Oh, no--it's the black helicopters!
They're coming to get me!  AAAARGH!  :-)

Regards
David Sosna