Re: Ballast Resistor

To: CE25593@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ballast Resistor
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:53:32 -0700
CE25593@aol.com wrote:

> I am in the process of rewiring my Tiger with a Peerless system  I am seeking
> guidance on the ballast resistor.  Is it truly necessary? I've seen some
> Tigers with one, and some without.  I will be running the Petronix ignition.
> Your assistance is appreicated.
>
> Bob Haynes, San Diego
> B382000793

Bob,

If you are using the original Pertronix, you MUST use THE ballast
resistor that comes with, or meant for, the "points type" ignition coil,
and that coil.

If you are running the Pertronix II, you can use a full 12 volt hot
coil, and do not need the ballast resistor, as the unit can handle the
higher current. You can also use the original points type coil, as the
voltage increases dramatically with a hot 12 volt coil, and may require
those larger distributor caps to prevent arcing.

Not sure is, on the Pertronix II, the standard type coil (9 volt) must
also use the ballast resistor to prevent over heating of the coil. I'd
use resistors with resistor coils.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/