Re: Fulcrum Pins

To: modtiger@home.com
Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pins
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:05:25 EDT
Every Tiger pilot should read Tom's reply.  He says
what I was trying to, but in a much more articulate
way.  As my good doctor advised, 'Drivers you have
a problem.'

I have been subjected to many comments, some not
so nice.  But the facts remain.  If you are using delron
you should think about checking your pins.  If you are
using stock bushings, never replace them with delron.

Stock replacement pins are getting hard to find.  I have
so much confidence in Doug Jennings 4140 pins, that
I bought another set.  Yes there may be other pins out
there (4130, titanium, deleted uranium, etc) but as Tom
has pointed out the problem lies in the inherent design.
Changing the racks to MG and steering arms may fix
some of the Ackerman problem.  But has anyone done
any research on whether this works and can he supply
empirical data to back his conclusions.  Changing
racks may introduce other unseen stresses elsewhere.
It would make me feel better if I knew an automotive
lab had approved this change.  If so, since I have
my cross member off, I might think about changing
the rack.

Considering today's society and its propensity to
litigation, I can see why Tom will not make or sell
pins for anyone.  I'm surprised he would release any
specs which someone could use.  In fact my expert was
surprised anyone would make anything for these cars
involving steering, braking, or suspension.  The risk
is that some bereaved widow will sue.  The day may
come when we will be on our own.  A sad commentary
on today's society.

Dave Johnson B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL