EN24 Fulcrum pins

To: <TIGEROOTES@aol.com>, "Jim Schultz" <jschultz@us.ibm.com>,
Subject: EN24 Fulcrum pins
From: "Derek White" <derekw@coppernet.zm>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:42:04 -0500
Hi everyone,

I am leaving in 3 weeks so need to do this fulcrum pin order this week. If
you want a modified pin, email me some measurements or drawings. I have had
some made as the originals but with a bigger radius on the step down to the
bush (I will adjust the washers accordingly.)

The EN24 steel is:

C= 0.35-0.45%,  Si=0.10-0.35, Mn=0.45-0.70, Ni=1.3-1.8, Cr=0.9-1.4,
Mo=0.2-0.35
They use this steel for Caterpillar parts. He can also get EN19 which is not
quite as strong but also not as brittle. He thinks unhardened EN24 would be
the best but admits he is not an expert. Stainless steel is much harder to
find and a lot more expensive.

If you want any pins, tell me how many of each (top and bottom.) They are
$20 each plus shipping to US (should be minimal if I send them all together
to one place and they are sent on from there.)  There are no warrantees
expressed or implied. I will spring for all the pins this end and will ask
the person who orders the most to recieve and distribute them in the US (and
collect the money for them.) They are not heat treated or shot peened, I
could look into that if there is demand. I did get them to polish the radius
after machining. These are hand machined, not CNC. Quality looks ok to me
and they match the originals. I just got one of my guys to polish the bolt
reliefs on the upper pins (they still had some milling marks and I heard
they may fatigue crack at those points.)

Let me know asap and if there are any design improvements, I will include
them for you. I intend to weld some small support brackets to the
crossmember and brace the outside of the pins similar to John Logan's idea.

Cheers, derek