RE: Clarification on Boss 302 in Tiger Question.

To: "'Gene'" <tigeriowa@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Clarification on Boss 302 in Tiger Question.
From: "Palmer, Robert L." <RPalmer@brobeck.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:49:43 -0800
Gene,

A little Boss 302 history for the record:

By Bob Hagin
pacheco news service

   NASCAR, with its Grand National (later Winston Cup) circuit, provided a
venue for the muscle cars to show their stuff, but the proving grounds for
the smaller pony car was the SCCA Trans Am series that was eventually
limited to American sports sedans such as the Chevrolet Camaro, the Dodge
Challenger, the AMC Javelin, the Pontiac Trans Am (albeit in Canadian form),
the Plymouth Barracuda and the Mercury Cougar.

   As the competition heated up, Ford came under increased pressure to field
a car that would match the Z28 Chevrolet Camaro and the awesome AMC Javelin
team of the Penske juggernaut on the Trans Am road racing circuits. Its
response was the Boss 302.

   The Boss 302 was a performance "image" machine that made a visual
statement about its owner. It would have been just as fast and just as
nimble had it been painted gray, but making a statement needed visual
impact. Ford stylist and General Motors expatriate Larry Shinoda adorned it
with swooping stripes and graphics that virtually said "don't mess with me."
It's 302-cubic-inch engine fit just under the 5.0-liter engine displacement
limit for international racing and was endemic to the Mustang Boss 302. No
other Ford ever used it. The blocks were specially selected and modified for
racing. The cylinder heads were similar to those on the Ford Cleveland
engine as used in the De Tomaso Pantera. The intake and exhaust systems were
upgraded for performance, and its 290 horses gave the 3,200-pound Boss 302
spectacular performance. The engine was backed up by a close-ratio
four-speed transmission and enough other performance items to make the Boss
302 nearly race-ready.

   The name itself was a sign of the times. Among other meaning, in the
'60s, "boss" was jargon for "good" or "the best," and that's the image Ford
wanted to forge for the car. Just fewer than 8,000 Boss 302s were produced
during its two-year life span, and most of them were made during 1970, its
final model year.

   The car was designed to be a winner in the SCCA Trans Am road racing
series, and it fulfilled that objective. In 1969, its first year of
competition, it was easily a match for the front-running Sunoco Camaro of
Mark Donohue, driving for the Penske team. Indianapolis 500 winner Rufus P.
"Parnelli" Jones won only two of the events but nonetheless finished second
in the Trans Am points standings at the end of the year.

   The following year, the Ford team got its revenge, winning six times with
five second-place finishes and four third-place finishes between lead driver
Jones and teammate George Follmer. Jones won the driver's championship over
Donohue by a single point.