Re: soft top

To: drbill@2geton.net
Subject: Re: soft top
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 22:03:59 EST
Bill

I'm assuming you have a MK IA with a soft boot.  The
two straps were originally held by a small metal piece
pop riveted to the back of the metal boot back.  When
the top was up, the straps ran from the boot back to
the long metal piece holding the back of the top to
the body.  There should be a hook device at the end
of the strap.  This hooks into the metal piece.  There
should also be a short 6 inch piece with a small
metal female clamp, attached at the end of the long
strap where the other hook is attached. When the boot
cover is folded down, the short strap reaches around and
attaches to the small studs in the boot cover.  The long
straps keep the boot cover from falling into the boot when
the top is up.

Thus when the long straps reaches across to the top,
the hook should be down, and the short strap should
have the female clamp should point up so it points
down when wrapped around the boot cover.

When putting the top down, you must remember to
hang the straps with their hooks, inside the car
away from the top, until you have it down.  Then
flip them back.  When putting the top up,
it is important you remember to flip the straps
back inside.  Not doing so, risks the hook
tearing a hole in the top.

I'm not sure what MK I's with the metal boot used.

A long explanation.

Dave Johnson, B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL