Re: Recommended ignition system

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Recommended ignition system
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 09:58:10 -0700
Jostein,
I agree with Larry on the MSD, and I haven't used the Mallory magnetic
distributor, so I can't comment either way on it. I'm currently running a
MSD-6AL, driving a MSD Blaster coil. The MSD is triggered by a Ford magnetic
distributor, exactly according to the MSD wiring instructions. The Ford
distributor itself is kind of a mishmash of parts, being based on an older body
with vacuum advance, with the reluctor and coil pickup
donated by a '78 Mustang distributor. The mechanical advance is limited to
about 24 crankshaft degrees by a piece of filler that I welded onto the advance
plate and then ground to the correct size. I am running the large distributor
cap, with some Lucas(!) silicone wires, and platinum plugs. The wires are going
to go sometime this winter, with likely replacements being MSD or Magnecor.
I've also used Moroso silicone wires with good
success, but the set I have don't fit the distributor cap I'm using now.
The tach output from the MSD drives a highly modified 7K Alpine tach.

Good luck,
Theo

Larry Paulick wrote:

> Jostein, I have been very happy with the Mallory Magnetic Distributor,
>Mallory Coil, Taylor 8 mm wires, and MSD6-AL.

<snip>