Re: FYI Speedometers

To: "Fraser, Ron" <Ron.Fraser@usa.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: FYI Speedometers
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:22:03 -0800
"Fraser, Ron" wrote:

> I just received a catalog from Mustangs Plus, Stockton Ca. and I
> note some interesting parts they carry.
>
> VSS and speedometer cable
> I do not know if a Mustang speedo cable will fit a Smiths Speedo but
> the VSS is interesting for anyone wanting to install an electronic speedo or
> make it easier to hook up a cruise control on a Tiger
> www.mustangsplus.com
>
> Ron Fraser

Ron,

The Tiger has the ONLY Smiths/Jaeger Speedometer that uses US standards
for the speedometer cable housing and inner core (Ford). This allows
speedo shops to make new inner cores, and outer housings, from existing
tooling and parts. Sometimes they don't know this.

There are also US made gear set boxes for adjusting the cable turns/mile
that fit in the speedo cable run with an added cable end. This allows
corrections for tire size and rear end ratio without rebuilding the
speedometer. Smiths gears are sometimes not available for the ratio's
you need, and you end up with the speedometer correct, but the odometer
in error. (BTDT).  Speedo shops (especially those for trucks) carry and
build-up these sets.

See our new article at http://www.TigersUnited.com, under Technical Tips
/Restoration Tips, to be released today. (Notice will be posted)
--
Steve Laifman
(http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/stevelaifman.asp)