Re: In phase ? The Official Word!

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In phase ? The Official Word!
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:14:41 -0800
OK,

All this talk about steering alignment really got me curious, so I went
out and looked at mine. Big Mistake! Mine looks like the two joints are
displaced by about 45 degrees.

Now, good that be wrong?  Seems to steer perfectly (except backing up at
full lock).

So, what to do? Why, read the Rootes Workshop Manual, of course. It
describes the whole "To remove and refit" in their own inimitable style,
and include an amazing picture showing absolutely no displacement at all!

Worst of all, it does not tell about any phase distortion. Not even
Scotty could align this Phaser, as the bolt (pinch bolt) is specified to
go through a "A" "ENLARGED GROOVE FOR PINCH BOLT IN SOLID SHAFT" which
apparently forces the alignment. Unless, of course is is a sloppy groove
- but 45 degrees????

The upper and lower forged clamps might also go through a "groove", but
not pictured. My alignment change is made on the grooved solid shaft
between the steering  wheel spline and the steering rack end joint bar
(I think).

Good my car be that wrong when it works so well. Could the MANUAL be wrong?

I won't sleep for days.

By the way. Do you have trouble interpreting what our beloved "Book" of
how to fix your car instructs you? Do not dismay. Thanks to a reference
supplied by Jim Leach, and a little editing, you now have direct access
to understanding the Workshop Manual language. Know exactly what they
mean! http://www.TigersUnited.com know translates it for you, and even
gives you many sections to read.

Look under "Technical Tips" / "Factory Manuals"

Or for the Navigationally Impaired (Now a Federal Internet Notification
Requirement for the Internet Communications Act for the Internet Challenged)

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/fm.asp

Click on - Interpreting "The Book"
--
Steve Laifman