Ackerman angle corrections

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ackerman angle corrections
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:38:24 -0800
 I have had this thought on my mind for a while so I guess I'll throw it out
now. As I understand it the Ackerman problem is due to the relationship of
the rack and the steering arms. Getting the rack in alignment with the tie
rods (at least to the extent that the proper Ackerman angle is achived, I
would assume there is need for some offset?) is what is desired.
  Suppose a block of suitable strength steel was used containing two holes.
Through the front hole the rack was nutted on each end (and double nutted as
well). Through the back hole was a threaded rod attached to the tie rod.
This would also be nutted on both ends. Depending on either the distance
from the two holes and/or the holes being at different angles from each
other would that effectively change the ackerman angle in a positive way. My
assumption is that this would have the rack and tie rod end angle moving
closer to parallel and that that could be a good thing.
  The are two potential problems I see:
1. The block possibly hitting the crossmember on what would be termed the
inside wheel as it relates to a turning car.
2.The second problem is that there would be some torque effects on the tie
rod due to it now being an offset two piece item. Well, come to think of it
that torque probably exist to some extent in the stock Tiger setup anyway
given the bent rods.
Just some thoughts that I wanted to throw out to consider. I will draw
something up if verbally it is hard to grasp. Tom Witt B9470101