Oil Pressure

To: "'jamesbrt@mindspring.com'" <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Oil Pressure
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:39:14 -0600
James,
My 2 cents is more of a question.
Have you ever tried to blow cold molasses through a straw?
I assume that your oil line is a plastic/copper line that is quite lengthy
as is mine.
I suspect the reason your oil pressure is lower on initial fire is that the
oil in the gauge line is not circulated and is too damn cold to push against
the gauge. It remains this way until the surrounding ambient air around the
line warms the line enough to increase the oils viscosity to enough that it
can actually move in the line and you actually get an accurate reading from
the gauge.

I would be willing to bet that if you just use a lighter or a blow dryer to
warm just the oil line and gauge prior to initial fire you would see the
normal higher pressure cold start situation.

We went through this with a GT-1 Camaro we raced in Canada where we used to
have to run an electric generator with a heating element before we could
even consider running the car. Failure to do this would "consume" one bronze
distributor gear. Then fire with about 90 lbs until oil from the dry sump
warmed the pump where pressure would fall again to 65lbs. Theo...Do you
remember the ritual on September Race days? That damn Honda generator was
very noisy.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager