Re: Rear hub removal

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear hub removal
From: "Charlton" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:55:15 -0600
Brent,
It's a long shot, but try rapping on the side of the hub, not the end.
Perhaps the taper will act the same way as ball joints and tie rod ends.
You can't really remove these by smacking the threaded end (although you can
press them out by pushing on the threaded end).  When doing this job without
a "pickle-fork", I've had good success by backing up the steering knuckle
with a sledge hammer and wailing away on the opposite side of the knuckle.
Usually about the time you're going to give up, and you give it one more
half-hearted thwack, the thing comes apart.  Hopefully you could hit hard
enough without damaging the hub.
Duncan