Mirror rebuild

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Mirror rebuild
From: Andy Frese <frese@muskingum.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:32:28 -0400
OK, you've got me started now.  I was lucky whilst disassembling my
mirror.  The hairdryer idea worked quite well to loosen the glue along
the edge of the plastic trim ring.  Used the back edge of a utility
knife to slowly peel the ring edge away from the glued portion (be
careful, don't dig too deeply as you can go through the plastic).  It
just popped off, mirror and all.  The mirror was held in place with
double sided tape.  Drill out the rivets, has the stem rechromed (looks
great).  Found copper pop rivets (close but not original) at Fastenal
(http://www.fastenal.com/) for a few cents.  After bead blasting the
thin metal base, some of the black wrinkle paint from Eastwood
(http://www.vista1.com/eastwood/) was used.  Simply reassembled.  Looks
great and the trim ring doesn't appear to need reglued - seems to stick
there just fine.