"VIN" versus serial number?

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: "VIN" versus serial number?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:06:39 -0800
Every state has there own way of handling the issue of taxation, title,
registration, and inspection. This is true whether it is instate sale of
previously registered vehicle or out-of-state transfers with, or without title.

I do not suppose that every state has as many vehicle thefts for
purposes of stripping parts, organized crime theft of vehicles for
export, (caught a SHIPFUL of newly stolen cars last month), or
rebuilding totaled vehicles. I am sure that many do.

Let us get "English" out of the way. I am sure every Tiger owner must
have their own, or "borrowed" copy of Tom Monroe's excellent "how to
rebuild your SMALL-BLOCK FORD", (1978 in my hands). On page 24, under
"IDENTIFICATION" he goes through a lengthy description of how to
determine what engine you have, starting with the "car identification
number". He shows the location of this number to have changed from 1967
and prior, to 1968 and later. He shows the door, and jamb locations of
the '67 and earlier, and the behind windshield '68 and later.

Now the important part. The number/letter sequence and meaning are
IDENTICAL. Nothing has changed but the location. While he concentrates
on the engine, the rest of the information, including location of
assembler, etc. are covered in factory workshop manuals and the like,
and are likewise the same.

In this State I know of no differences between how these numbers are
treated, either. There are no differences to the law here. How an
individual officer may act is variable anywhere.

If the number is the same, the information is the same, and only the
location is different - if it walks like a duck........

This IS a state that takes this property seriously. Especially with the
amount of car-jacking, theft, stripping and chop shops. Even a seemingly
simple transfer of a licensed vehicle is often examined for forged ID,
changed vehicles. I know of plenty of Tigers running around with special
California Identification Numbers affixed by the Highway Patrol, due to
doubt over authenticity, as many here will attest to.

I have no agenda, only BE CAREFUL. NOTHING changed in the law here but
the requirement for external visibility of the serial number for law
enforcement purposes. Emissions requirements are a completely different
organization.
--
Steve Laifman