Re: Boredom Sets In

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Boredom Sets In
From: CANISDOG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:50:02 EST
In a message dated 3/19/2002 3:44:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ssage@socal.rr.com writes:

> unbore myself, I'd like to solve a persistent aggravation....leaky
> passenger compartment fresh air vents.

Steve,
Not sure if your talking about the fresh air flaps or the flaps in the heater
control temp setting.
I know of no felt in the fresh air plastic chambers.  But there is felt in
the heater control box, but this directs air either to the screen or floor.
Temp is another issue.
There is a small amount of foam you get for those fresh air boxes if you buy
SS rebuild kit with new flaps.
If your flaps are not "snapping" shut when you pull them closed you have the
old "broken" or "dislodged" spring problem.  According to the source, this
can only be corrected by removing the plastic boxes and doing it on the
bench.   Those little babies are pop riveted in and glued with sealer.
I am hear to say, they can be done on the car!!
Of course, the dash and the gauges have to all come out to do it.  I felt
this was better than trying to get a drill through all the mess under there.
I don't think that can be done anyway.
The trick really comes in when trying to get the little aluminum frame
"behind" the plastic vent flap AND installing the spring.  All within that
tiny opening.

If you attempt to do it I'll go into detail off list for you.  It's lengthy.

Paul
Colorado