Re: buggered drive shaft

To: stephen jones <joness@wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: buggered drive shaft
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:13:54 -0400
At 08:34 AM 4/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Had the Tiger up in the air yesterday so I thought I'd take the extra 20
>minutes and put in new U-joints.  Never that easy I guess.  Turns out the
>drive shaft yoke at one time had hammered the differential yoke (too much
>gas, two weak springs?)  The result is that the yoke holes have bent over
>so that there is no way that the U-joint end caps can make it out.
>Pressing the joint out looks like it won't be easy or maybe even possible.
>This must not be the first Tiger to have this problem but I didn't see
>anything in the CAT notes. Any advice before I bring it down to "Billy
>Bob's Drive line Emporium"?
>thanks steve jones B9470867

        Been there, done that.  My problem came from extreame wheel hop
at a SOLO II race.  Even dented the rear shocks when the rear end wound
up.  Weld on Traction Bars solved that problem.  I was able to "press"
the u-joint/caps out.  Used socket slightly larger ID than the cap
 to support one side of the yoke.  Supported the drive shaft with
something ( don't remember from 1974). Used a steel rod slightly smaller than
the cap on the other side.  Used a 3 pound hammer to "press" the cap
out the far side. Flipped the yoke ofer and did the same to the other cap.
This sheared off a thin "new moon" shaped piece of metal from both sides
of the yoke.  The new U-Joint went in OK.   Now, after 5 or 6 sets of
U-Joints over the years, I find that one hole in the yoke is just
slightly oversized and the cap in that hole can rotate.  Like a fool,
I sold my spare good drive shaft to another Tiger owner a couple of years
ago.  Should have kept it.  My 351C puts a bit more pressure on the
drive shaft than a 260 or 289, but it still works.  My problem at the moment
is not the drive shaft, but the worn out rear end.  I have about 45 degrees
of backlash on the 300,000 + mile, 2.88 rear end.  Working on a replacement
at the moment.  This will also cause me to change the driveshaft to a bigger
one in any case.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others