Tigers United 2002 Updates & Exciting News

Subject: Tigers United 2002 Updates & Exciting News
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 09:52:13 -0700
Hello Sunbeamers:
Arrangements for Tigers United 2002 at Mammoth Lakes, California, June
27,28 & 29 are going full speed ahead. This is lengthy, but some of it
will be of interest to all Sunbeamers, even if you're not attending the
event, so....here's the news.:

An exciting speaker for the event will be George Boskoff, the Shelby
employee who actually built one of the two prototype Tigers. He's the
man who did it, and will be able to answer all those questions and clear
up all the controversies that surround the history of the building of
the Shelby Sunbeam Tiger. Here's the news flash from CAT member Buck
Trippel, who helped arrange this amazing CAT coup:

"Most Tiger owners know that our cars trace their origins to work done
during the spring of 1963 at Shelby American. However, many don't
realize that almost all the work was done by only one man, George
Boskoff. CAT has arranged to have George speak about his experiences,
creating what became the Tiger, at Tigers United XXVI. George will talk
after the Dinner/BBQ on Friday, June 28.

Georger Boskoff was one of Shelby American's earliers employees. In
March 1963, Carroll Shelby called him over and gave him this
instruction, "George, I want you to put one of our engines in that
Alpine over there." George set himself up in a quiet area of the Venice,
California shop and over the next two months created what became the
prototype for all Tigers. George didn't know he was building a
prototype-he thought he was just putting one of Shelby's engines into an
Alpine. At United, George will explain what it was like to work at
Shelby American in those days. And he'll lead us through his
recollections of how he built the Tiger prototype. Additionally, we hope
to reunite him with that car, now owned by Bill Carroll, author of the
book "Tiger-An Exceptional Motorcar".

If you are planning on attending the event, don't wait too much longer
to make your hotel reservations. The Mammoth Mountain Inn, event
headquarters, is filling up fast and has only 30 rooms left (only 21 are
available for a full 4 day stay) at the guaranteed event rate. Call the
hotel at (800)626-6694.

Check out Mapquest.com for the location of Mammoth Lakes if you're still
not decided on attending. This is a great location, beautiful scenery
and a first rate hotel to stay at. If you don't come, you will miss
seeing anywhere from 70-90 Tigers and Alpines, meeting some great
Sunbeam people, you'll miss the autocross, the rally through excellent
curving mountain roads and wilderness, the concours/Tiger-Alpine car
show, the Tiger quiz (test your Tiger knowledge), the parts swap and
sell event (get those bits you've been looking for for your car) great
food, you'll miss learning lots of stuff you didn't know about our cars
(some true and some not!), you'll miss hearing George Boskoff talk about
building the Tiger prototype, and you'll miss out on a lot more Sunbeam
happenings. In other words, do not miss attending this event!

If you need event entry forms and more info., e-mail me or Jane directly
at:  ssage@socal.rr.com  and I'll e-mail the forms back to you. You can
also call us at (818)594-7254.

When sending in your entrys, please make the checks out exactly as
spelled out on the entry forms. The event bank will not accept them
otherwise.

Event chairman is Bill Graf (thanks, Bill!!), at (626)330-3512 or
wgraf@earthlink.net      Contact Bill with any comments, suggestions
concerning the event.

Steve Sage