Re: Rootes overengineering: bomb-proof building

To: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rootes overengineering: bomb-proof building
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 00:06:09 -0400
At 11:48 PM 5/6/02 EDT, TIGEROOTES@aol.com wrote:

>    That is most interesting to me as I am a Submarine buff, and I am well
>aware of the reinforced concrete bomb-proof submarine pens that housed Grand
>Admiral Donitz's submarines at Lorient and Biscay.  I wish there was more
>"meat" in the article telling what Rootes had that was so important and
>housed in theirs.  Thanks!
>Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle

Rootes itself had little to do with this -- it was a dictate of the British
government, which required bomb-proofed portions of most factories deemed
vital to the war effort.  This program also included the construction of
"shadow factories" and the like throughout the UK.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!