Tire question

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire question
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:09:03 -0500
Hi, all:

I've got a tire question for everyone that has probably been hashed out here
before, but here we go again...

I am running original LAT 70s with 185/70R-13 tires.  I am running the
recommended spacers behind the rear wheels as well.  Although I have no
clearance problems on the front end, I currently do have a slight rubbing
problem with the rear wheels when I hit substantial bumps; the sidewalls get
into the wheel well lips just a bit.  The time has come to replace my tires
and I'm wanting to find out what other people who run 13" wheels, preferably
LAT 70s, are running.

Before it's suggested, I'll make it clear now that I have no intention
whatsoever of trimming the wheel well lips.  Surely there must be another
solution.  Should I lose the rear wheel spacers?  What if I drop to a
175/70R-13; will I be happy with the tires or will they be too small?  My goal
is to get the widest tire I can under the fender wells on stock LAT 70s and
eliminate the rubbing problem while retaining a stock look.  I don't do much
hot-rodding anymore with the car so I'm not looking to change wheel sizes and
go with "rubber band" tires.  Suggestions and comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE