Great event, an interesting find and Stromberg intake leaks

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Great event, an interesting find and Stromberg intake leaks
From: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:51:05 -0400
Hey folks -

Three topics for the price of one...

First, I just wanted to mention what I great time my family had at the
Sunbeam B.A.S.H. that Tiger Tom et al hosted last weekend.  Although it was
a miserable rainy morning to start there were still about 8 Beams that
showed and all the folks that made reservations came, adding up to 50 people
in total.  The food was EXCELLENT (I'm a sucker for pulled-pork barbecue!)
and the trip to the Indian Echo Cavern was loads of fun.. my kids are still
talking about it.  The weather cleared and the day ended with a beautiful
sunset and dinner at the Hummelstown Sports Car "Cruise-in".  My thanks to
all involved!!

Second item:
I was cruising the web trying to find info about leaky Series V intake
manifold gaskets (more on that later) and ran across this item:

http://britbits.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/used_parts.html

Now, I don't have any connection with the firm and I have *NO* idea if (1)
the hood is any good (2) the business is any good or (3) if it's even sold
yet.  But, all the same, if you're looking for one, there you are, go for
it.

That brings me to the third subject, my leaky intake.  This is the second
blasted time I've got a leak, this time it's in the #3 intake port.  Last
time I installed it I made sure I put the rings in the holes (the ones that
center the manifold and match the ports) and used the steel shim with the
gasket and - sigh - here it is, leaking again.

A little help from the more expierienced among you, please...

-- Are intake leaks common with Stromberg-equipped Alpines?

-- Is there a particular procedure to follow to ensure a good seal?

-- Should any gasket sealant be used, and if so, which is best for this
application?

-- On which side does the steel shim go?  I've been putting it on the
aluminum manifold side, assuming it is there so that the manifold can
expand/contract without tearing the gasket - is that right?

Thanks, folks!

Kevin McLemore
1967 Series V