Re: Tiger Antenna

To: SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com
Subject: Re: Tiger Antenna
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:26:45 EDT
Somewhere in my archives, I have the official
dealer template for drilling the hole in the
right fender.  As pointed out, there is no
hole right beneath the template hole.  There
is a hole in the inner fender further towards the
windshield.  I snaked my lead through that
hole, using a rubber gasket and then behind
the glove box to the antenna.

A big problem is that most universal antennas
require a big hole.  The universals have a
rotating piece on both sides that allow you
to slip into a hole and then rotate the sides
like an anchor in a wall.  The problem is that
with the Tiger/Alpine the universal is too long
to allow it all the way in before rotating.  I
simple elongated the hole on one side until
I could get it inside.  A better solution would
have been to shorten the rotating arms until
it fit in.

Remember to rustproof all bare metal.

This does not address the issue of how to
reduce or eliminate the static.  There have
been some articles written on that.  The
original Chrysler radios cost the company
$13 and they performed like it.  Perhaps
the European WR radios were better.

With a LAT hood you have a big problem
of the interference being transmitted to the
antenna.

Best solution is to listen to FM.  Or perhaps
XM?  Or a cassette or CD.

One final issue is where to place the speakers.
The single original speaker is not very good.
I put some nice Jensens in the holes in the
kick panel that the PO made.  But I found
my knees tone deaf.  Best solution was
speaker boxes on the shelf behind the seats.
I screwed them to the carpet using small
machine screws and nuts to keep them from
sliding around.

Dave Johnson, B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL