Re: Road Demon

To: Veeseeoso@aol.com, wallym@ozemail.com.au, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Road Demon
From: JPKKMK@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:44:52 EDT
Wally
I actually got the Road Demon to fit with an f4b but it took a little work.
The carb is enough larger that it had about an 1/8 inch interference with the
fire wall. There are two options to make this work
-- 1 Offenhauser makes an offset plate (usually used in pairs to make two
four barrels work) that will move the carb forward enough to clear the
firewall. The spacer is only about an 1/8 inch thick and so still fit under
the stock hood. I didn't like the way it looked with the spacer and so chose
the second method
--2 The motor mounts were moved to the wrong side giving me an extra 1/16
inch and the mounting holes for the card were elongated to allow the carb to
be moved forward on the manifold. I did not have to open up the manifold as
the plenum of the intake is quite a bit larger than the carb needed. There is
a limited amount you can gain by enlarging the mounting holes as you run out
of metal on the carb base plate. The Demon is still a very tight fit but what
in the Tiger isn't!! And it is a great Carburetor!
FWIW The Demon (625) and a Holley Avenger (675) were both tested on the dyno
on my motor. The motor is a rebuilt 289 with AFR aluminum heads and hydrulic
roller cam producing about 300hp and the demon ran much better with a
smoother curve and better response. The Holley at 675cfm was also too much
carb.
Patrick