What's in the cap?

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: What's in the cap?
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:23:54 -0700
I'm replacing the gas cap lid on my Tiger and have got to the point
where I have removed the vent assembly from the old cap.  My vent
assembly looks in OK shape although the cork seal could use replacing.
When I shake the vent assembly I hear a rattle, is this normal?  I can
blow through from the tank side, I can also suck through from the tank
side but it seems a bit harder to do (maybe I just blow better than I
suck).  Is this normal operation for the cap vent?  How is this vent
supposed to work, I mean why does it have moving parts?

Has anyone had luck replacing the cork seal?  What did you use?

Frank
B9471117