Guess the Problem

To: Tiger Maill List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Guess the Problem
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 17:21:37 -0400
Hi Guys. After putting a high torque starter last weekend, I went out
for a drive.

Car felt funny on normal acceleration, and the farther I drove, the
worse it got.  Started OK, idle OK, but on acceleration loss of power,
but no backfire.  Got worse over next 3 days of working on it.  Here is
what I did and found out.

Electrical

Mallory Magnetic distr, module tested and OK, vac advance Ok

Mallory Promaster tested OK

MSD 6AL disconnected, and still problem

Ballast resistor tested OK

All Grounds good, Optima battery good, alternator charging, Taylor 8mm
good, plugs nice brown color on insulators, connections from ignition
switch good.

Fuel

Carter elec pump tested for flow, and pumped approx 72 gph.

Fuel tank pumped dry, and gas looked good, with no water, gas fresh from
COSTCO high vol source.

Fuel filter replace, but existing filter good.

Fuel to carb flow good,

Holley Double Pumper working with accelerator pump, and feed looked good.

Filter in dual inlets in carg good.

Called Holley,Mallory, and Summit, and only Holley said it sounded, as
they heard the car running in the garage over the phone, like an
electrical problem, not fuel, and like a rev limiter, but MSD disconnected.

Took me 3 days of tests, and really simple solution.

Can You Guess?

Larry

BTW - With tanks dry, added 1.5 gal of gas, and gas guage registered at
0, and then filled it up at the gas station with 11 gal of gas after
driving 6 miles on the 1.5 gal.  Good to know there is some fuel left
after it says empty, and that it really holds 12.5 gal.