Re: Lord Oxide

To: <les.mcclelland@wcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Lord Oxide
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 03:53:56 -0700
Les,
    I agree, especially with your last two statements.   I don't consider
Oklahoma to be 'Midwest' in the sense of salt belt either, so no offense
intended.  My 2nd Tiger sat out in the Nevada desert waiting for rescue for 14
years.....no salt.  But the windshield was out and the front left tire was
sunk way into the dirt.  I could turn ANY nut or bolt on the car when I got it
without the slightest problem and there is NO rust.  Except where the front
left floorpan acted as a sump for water in through the windshield opening and
I had to replace 2/3 of it.
    This is like the old nature vs. nurture argument in biology and medicine.
If your Mom and Dad were great people and raised you well, you're likely a lot
better off than if they were druggies.  But if they both had an IQ of 96,
you're still probably not going to end up at MIT.
    Salt is like the genetics side of the argument.  The two jack ports in
front (leading unobstructed into the front framehorns), the holes in the
bottom of the main lateral box frame (just in front of the seats), the
unfinished cutout through the front X-frame for the exhaust, the notorious
failure of the 'sealer' at the back of the front wheel wells opening into the
'A' post and rockers -- there are many other places on the Tiger, but all
these are examples of easy access for road splash, etc. to the inside of
frames and panels.  Those are unpainted, unwashable and maintenance irrelevant
areas.
    Most major rust happens from the inside out.  It's just common sense to
think of cars with a potential accelerant in the vulnerable areas as
potentially less valuable.  You're right, all those So.Ca. cars are going to
rust out some day.  But for the average car with average use there's still a
difference and people will pay for it.

                               Chris