Run On /Stalling Solved (Apparently)

Subject: Run On /Stalling Solved (Apparently)
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:30:43 -0800
I think I've solved both my run on and stalling problems. Of course I
can't guarantee it won't happen again.

As to the run-on after shutting the motor off, I just slightly leaned
out the Holley carb idle screws (I ended up just screwing them in no
more than 1/2 turn each from where they were, without effecting the
RPMs). No more "chugging" after the key is off. The carb must have been
dumping just a bit too much fuel down there at idle so it puddled after
the key was turned off, and was re-ignited by engine heat.

The only obvious thing I could find to cause it to stall from idle
intermittently was the main (brown) power wire going the the back of the
ignition switch was not on there very tight. It must have just jiggled
occassionally enough to stop voltage from going to the ignition. I
crimped the wire on tightly and the car did no more stalling yesterday
or so far today. In hindsight, when I had the ignition switch out a few
weeks ago, I think I thought that the main wire was a bit loose but then
forgot to do anything about it. I still went ahead and ordered a new
ignition switch from SS since the other potential cause is that I think
the contacts inside might be sticking or wearing out. It's very stiff to
turn the key, and maybe that had some effect on the car stalling too.

Thanks for the help from the list.

Steve Sage