FW: #2

To: "tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: #2
From: "D. E. Adin" <adin@frontier.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:32:11 -0700
Hi tigers,
Last spring I mounted a video camera in the Tiger for a run to Denver and
back and did tape a segment on the west side of Wolf Creek Pass, coming
down.

Never ran over 70 mph, but generally about 20 over the posted limit.  Only
two hairpins on the way down and some light braking in the esses.

I could barely stop at the bottom to turn off the video camera!!!!  I never
considered this a "hard" drive, nor a high-speed run and yet almost no
brakes at the bottom!!!  I shudder to think what the brakes might have been
like if I ran the car hard.

In theory, disks aren't needed because the rears become unloaded in a panic
stop and cannot use much in the way of stopping power.

Think about how hard that little car can accelerate without very much effort
and how nice it would be to be able to stop it.

I attribute the severe fade to the drums, only because drums will fade way
before disks.

Take that car out and do 5 hard stops from cruising speed . . . .  you might
be surprised.

motor gently,

Durango David

Subject: Re: #2

Chris:

I remember reading a car magazine (may have been grass roots
motorsports) where someone with a Tiger had written in asking about rear
disc brake upgrades.
Their response was interesting: they said that since the majority of
braking was done by the FRONT brakes, the best thing this owner could do
was to upgrade the braking material on the front pads, put upgraded
brake shoes on the rear and have fun.

I can't offer any personal experience--my Tiger came with rear discs, so
I have no basis of comparison, but if cost is your major motivator, the
above might be a good starting place, and then if money permits you
could consider upgrading to rear discs.  You also haven't mentioned
whether you were wanting the rear discs for racing, autocrossing, or
street use--if it's street use, upgraded brake pads might suit you fine.

Regards

David Sosna